Firstly you will need the following information about the Windows PC you want to share files with.
- The PC Network name.You will find the information in your Control Panel on the PC.
- The Windows Work Group it’s on(if it is on one).
Now you need to set up your Mac to share with the Windows PC by following the below mentioned steps.
- Open System Preferences and go to Network.
- Click OK and select Ethernet (for a wired connection) or Wi-Fi (for wireless). Click the Advanced button.
- In Advanced select the WINS tab.Enter a name to identify your Mac in NetBIOS Name and your PC Workgroup(above) into Workgroup.You may also be able to find the network using the drop down menu.Leave the next box blank and click OK as shown in the figure below.
Now you need to connect your Mac to the Windows PC by following the below steps.
- Open Finder.
- On the Finder sidebar in “Shared List” locate the Windows shared network group as shown in the figure below.
- Double Click the Windows PC you want to connect to.
- Hit “Connect As” and enter the name and password as shown in the figure below.Please note you can connect as a Guest user if the shared computer permits guest access.
Now you can share the files.A list of available Shared Folders on the PC should appear.Select the ones you require access to , Click OK and these files or folders should appear on your Mac Desktop.